Monday, November 28, 2011

Being One With The Earth

During our Thanksgiving vacation we stayed with Mckay and LaRee's family who eat healthily/healthy/healthful/ I don't know how to say it. I have changed my perspective about what I should be putting in my body and I just feel like I could do a way better job at this. It is challenging to make this change but it is so important. I have thought about doing this for a while but I hadn't quite convinced myself or gotten the guts to just commit and change myself. My mom has been trying to tell me about eating more organically and she recently sent me this bible of rich information on how to eat well. It includes recipes. I don't need to go into detail about how many crazy things we put into our body and how our food has been altered since the days of growing up on the farms, but I am quite surprised at the way our food is altered to be cheaper or taste better. The documentary "Food Inc" did a good job of informing me of that.

Andrew and I want to lose weight, have more energy, and feel good, so we are committing to eating more organic foods, veggies, fruits, and trying green smoothies, etc. I also want to have good eating habits so that my children will crave healthy food. Tonight we ate a huge salad with spinach, bell peppers, avocado, broccoli, cheese, and tomatoes. It sure beats the usual cream based, fattening recipes I recently made. I still have to learn about cooking healthy main meals. My current list of ideas includes brown rice, lentil soup, and Dave's Killer Bread. I need help and so I am searching the internet as well as reading the huge book my mom gave me. What resources are there for eating healthy?

On top of this we are committing to work out at least 5 days a week. December is the perfect month to make this transition from whenever we have time to daily workouts. Half of the month will be a lot less busy so that we can make it a habit.

On another note, I have recently gotten sick of hiding away my jewelry in a container that I never notice. I decided I needed to make a jewelry rack so that I actually wear jewelry semi-regularly. We already have a visible scarf holder that is packed and those get worn quite often.

On Andrew's run tonight he grabbed lots of random branches. I found one with a nice curve in it and proceeded to nail some fabric to it. I added more nails for hanging stuff. I placed it on some nails in the wall and there it lays. I hang my necklaces, bracelets, and belts on the nails and then I poke a hole into the fabric to hang my earrings on it.

I felt great about using the earth's resources to create something for free and fueling my body with healthy food. I feel like I am in control of my life more or something. I can't really explain it.

1 comment:

  1. Well you know how I feel about this- I have loads of information and recipes you can borrow. However, I have just finished (5 months ago) reading a ton of studies that show that "real fats"- ie butter, olive oil, cream, full fat milk/ dairy products, natural oils etc are MUCH better for you than the low-fat, skim, fake counterparts. Plus a lot of foods need fat to digest the other nutrients. So it's not a crime to be cooking with cream. In fact I think we always have it in the fridge now. Always. And Drew and I have actually lost weight. Basically the theory is that your body recognizes real fats and can digest them much easier than their low fat counterparts. So don't give up your Southern cooking quite yet.

    ReplyDelete