We made it home after lugging tearing duffle bags and stuffed carry-ons to the bus, train, plane, through the airport and into a car. It was an almost 24 hour day with a rescheduled flight. I almost thought the exertion would send me into labor.
This is a post about the rest of our time in the lovely city of Amsterdam. Andrew was there for 3 months and I was there for 2 1/2 months. It was an awesome experience and we got to spend a lot of quality time together before the baby transition hits.
Edenspiekermann
Andrew absolutely loved his internship with Edenspiekermann. It was a very different experience from his New York internship. He felt like they really used his strengths and talents. By the end, everyone was clamoring to work with him on their projects. They ended up deciding to contract with him in the future which is their way of saying that they want to work with him more. Apparently it is extremely hard for a European company to hire someone; if you want to work in Europe, the company has to prove that there is no one else in the EU that can do the job. Anyways, everyone was so pleased with Andrew's work and they all said how much they loved him and loved working with him.
This is Andrew's great mentor Jeroen, who is going to be a first time Dad soon also.
This is Edo who is one of the many bosses (the Dutch don't really organize their businesses with hierarchy). Our last night there, we all celebrated at the local bar.
In this picture of Andrew and Mirjam, you can see the smorgasbord that Andrew was privy to on a daily basis. It was so healthy and yummy.
Everyone was extremely kind and they gave Andrew the most thoughtful gifts. They created a book directed at Colin that included illustrations that Andrew made while working there. The book described our experience in Amsterdam. It was so clever. They also gave us a onesie that has a logo on it that Andrew designed for "I amsterdam". We a copy of The Book of Mormon in Dutch with Edenspiekermann. Andrew wrote a note inside and hopefully those who know and remember him will remember how happy and kind he was and maybe wonder a little more about a book that helped him become that way. Andrew had lots of opportunities to share his Mormon beliefs, which is always refreshing and enjoyable.
Church
We had the opportunity to go to the temple in The Hague which is only a 45 minute drive south. We got to wear translator head sets for the session. It was wonderful to be with the members, especially the new ones who were making the trip for the first time and doing baptisms. We rode up with a new member named Simon who was from Ghana. He is doing odd jobs to make money to send back to his family. He wears the flashiest, coolest suits. It is always a lovely reminder to see a temple in a far away land and know that the gospel of Jesus Christ is being spread all over the world.
The last month we were extended the calling to teach the English Gospel Principles class to new members and investigators of the church. I loved it. I wish that could be my calling in every ward. We got to discuss the foundational principles of the gospel like prayer, the Holy Ghost, the creation, etc. It is always attended by missionaries too. It is like you are teaching a missionary discussion. I was sad that we did not get to do it longer.
Midwife
So I was very excited to experience the widwifery system here but must have chosen the wrong practice because it took me a month to get word from them and when I did, they told me I had to work through some wierd insurance stuff. I finally called a different practice who saw me within two days. The Verloskundigen (midwives) spoke English and we had fun converting from the metric system and comparing midwifery systems. She gave me a due date of April 4th instead of April 7th because they calculate it a bit differently. She was impressed that I was going against the norm in the U.S. by doing it the Dutch way (almost except I am delivering at a birthing center) and having a natural birth. Almost everyone has home births in the Netherlands. She gave me some packets that they give to new patients and a handout that explained their process. I gave them to my midwife in America so she could compare. The waiting room was full of birth announcements. Apparently, in the Netherlands if you do not send one out then it is like you never had a baby. You have to do a birth announcement. In the U.S. it is very optional.
I though this Amsterdam birth announcement was really cute.
Talking With Strangers
One time I was walking around town and a guy stopped me and asked if I was an artist. We jumped into a conversation that lasted an hour on the side of the street. He was from Iran and we talked about the things we have learned from different cultures and the people we enjoy being with. He was extremely genuine and we admired each others openness and ability to share opinions. I have never met a total stranger and had such a frank and intelligent conversation like that. I was reminded about the attraction that someone can have to your spirit. He stopped me because he saw something different in me and I continued to talk to him because I saw a man who yearned to learn and share with me. I can tell (sometimes just by looking at someone) that they are crazy and this guy was not. I bet this is how my Mom feels when she stops to talk to strangers. She does that a lot and I admire her drive to connect with people. It is a special feeling and I think an innate inner drive to be listened to and to be understood by someone. It feels good.
Andrew is pretty good with meeting strangers. He contacted a couple of illustrators that he really likes and who live in the Netherlands and then met them at a bar and chatted. He wanted to learn and ask them questions about their careers and styles. It can be uncomfortable or nerve-wracking to put yourself out there like that but we try to make the most of life, sometimes we are better at it than other times. You never know who God wants to throw into your path.
Dutch Po-Po
This one time we went on a train to visit the Kroller-Muller museum (a client of Edenspiekermann) that houses many beautiful Van Goghs. Andrew had to go for work and take photos and video of the museum. We were cutting it close to departure time and forgot where to check our cards in (that is how you pay). Andrew went running around trying to find where to check them in and we got on the train right before it left. The ticket inspectors came by and after handing them our cards they told us we weren't checked in. Andrew never found the place to do it and got on anyway without telling me. We had no ID which you apparently have to have when traveling on the trains in the Netherlands. They told us that the fine for not having checked in and not having identification was going to be 120 Euro, about $155. We may have to wait at the police station until they find out who we are, which could take 6 hours and would ruin our day. After getting off at the next stop, escorted by our new power-hungry friends, we were met with the police.
I had a debit card on me with my name but Andrew had nothing. He flipped through his notebook, which doubles as a scrapbook and could have had some evidence of his identification in it but never found anything. He made sure to show off his cute illustrations and I stuck out my pregnant belly. We tried to look like we weren't crazy, trouble-making american spies. I didn't have that many Euros on me and in the end they only made us pay half the fine and then sent us on our way. Phew!
Kroller-Muller Museum
We went on our way to the museum which is located in the middle of a national forest. We got to bike through the forest to get to it. Biking is not very comfortable when pregnant, but I liked biking through a snowy forest.
I fell in love with Van Gogh after looking at some of his darker shaded works as well. The museum is a private collection of work from a lady named Kroller Muller.

We were able to go to many different museums. We went to a film museum, photography museum, Dutch colonization and world cultures museum, diamond museum, Dutch painters museum, an old home on a canal, and of course we visited the Anne Frank House. We entered past the original secret bookcase and everything. This is the outside since there was no photography allowed. The bottom floor (black doors) is the warehouse area.
More Daily Life
Amsterdam was cold but what made the cold worse was the chilling wind that would come from the water. I am waiting for the bus in this picture and the wind is freezing my brain.
Every turn brings you to a beautiful canal like this one.
Docks and water
This is Centraal Station where almost all the trains, trams, metros, and buses stop. We came here frequently. The tram, or aboveground metro, is on the left.
To use the tram you swipe this card when you get on and when you get off. It charges you by distance, not one ride.
Andrew likes taking pictures of me. I am wearing my two clothing purchases while there. I got that blue navajo sweater and bright yellow galoshes.
One day we took the ferry across the river and these cars fit right on with the bikes.
One annoying thing was that I had to carry Euros with me everywhere since American cards were not accepted in most places. These guys were our buddies.
This is the view outside our apartment and I'm going to miss it.
It is good to be home with a big bed and house as we get ready to have the baby. We created so many awesome memories in Europe and can't wait to go back!


















No comments:
Post a Comment