I am an assistant teacher to a beautiful Moroccan woman named Bouchra. She is one of those people that is so happy and has so much life. She loves you right when she meets you and she really listens and cares about you. She speaks French, Spanish, English, Arabic, Italian, and Haitian Creole, so you could say she is crazy-in-love with languages. She has already taught me so much about parenting (the French way) and helping little children acquire language through immersion.
I made the decision a couple of months ago to speak French to all of my children. I am going to do certain activities that are always in French like FHE, singing songs and reading books before bed, and other consistent activities. I have learned that you have to be disciplined and I am so excited! These kids are amazing. We are already seeing that kids who come in with no French are understanding through action, context, repetition, and songs. It is such a great opportunity for me to prepare to teach my own children. It may be hard but my children will thank me later.
Bouchra is a Christian and she loves talking about her love of God. We have had wonderful talks about our beliefs and she has asked me many questions about my faith. I hope to continue to share with her and learn from her as we are able to uplift each other and connect about how hard it is to be a good Christian in this world. Here is a picture of me and her.
This past month Andrew launched a design company with his friends from high school, Rob and Sean. It is called Tinyhouse Design Co. and he has been really busy with that on top of his internship. Check out their website at www.tinyhou.se. Sean has been out in NYC as well and they have had many nights of geeking out together. They are so talented and do great work since, well let's just say, they are young geniuses.
Sean in the traditional hat of his people



Such lovely times :) But I'm confused, doesn't Andrew already have a design company? He's going to have a second one?
ReplyDelete