We started off by taking a wagon ride around the town and saw many homes and shops that have been restored. I captured this shot of the Mississippi River which the early LDS members had to cross on their trek west. There are many American Lotus flowers along the shore in this picture.
Before every vignette the Nauvoo Bagpipe Band plays. There were many Scottish immigrants who came to Nauvoo at this time. I love the sound of bagpipes. Here is a picture of the band.
We got together and did our tradition of writing my brother Chet a message and then putting them in balloons and letting them go in the sky. I am glad that we can always do something to remember him while we are together.
There is a lot of corn and soy bean out in the plains of Illinois so I had to get a shot of Andrew coming out of the corn field.
Her experience doing this pageant has changed her. We love her so much. After Andrew, she is my favorite person in the entire world. You could then say that my favorite people are in this picture above (well except for that kid in the orange shirt. Don't know him.) I admire her talent and energy. I love her sense of humor and her strength in her service to the Lord. I feel like I have helped raise her and I have seen her go through every up and down. I have sometimes been too much of a mother and other times I have just held her as she cries. Life is hard and I am so happy to see her where she is right now and see her becoming who she wants to be. I am still trying to get to that point too. She is an INCREDIBLE human being and anyone who gets to be a part of her world comes away feeling loved and uplifted because she is honestly a window to God's love. I could talk about her forever...
The pageant is so well done and professional. It simply testifies of the amazing work that was done in this city and the impact it had on the church and its people. Afterwards the cast talks to everyone and encourages us to think of people that might want to receive a CD of the music from it. I was on fire and me and Andrew wrote some names down. I have honestly had such a great Summer where I have been more focused on missionary work. I love it!
We visited Carthage Jail where Joseph and his brother Hyrum were martyred. I was able to have a better understanding of the context of the death of Joseph Smith. I was reminded that he sealed his work with his blood. I loved hearing the quote by Josiah Quincy Jr., Mayor of Boston in 1845 that said, "It is by no means improbable that some future textbook... will contain a question something like this: What historical American of the nineteenth century has exerted the most powerful influence upon the destinies of his countrymen? And it is by no means impossible that the answer to that interrogatory may be thus written: Joseph Smith, the Mormon prophet." Being the man who was called to be the prophet who re-established Christ's church on this earth merits that kind of title.
Here is one of the cells he stayed in for a bit. He stayed in many others like this when he was unjustly imprisoned on many occasions.
My family in front of the temple - minus Joy and Quin's family
It is in these holy places where I can be the closest to God on earth and it is here where I can feel about myself the way God sees me.
Andrew and I took a picture together too
How fun!! Thanks for sharing! Meredith is also one of my favorite people in the world. :) You guys are great!
ReplyDelete