Monday, November 5, 2012

Andrew Colin Beck is INCREDIBLE!

I think that men probably do not hear enough how proud their wives are of them and they probably do not get enough positive support and encouragement from them. It is easy for a spouse to point out the weaknesses and annoying habits of the other. While we were dating Andrew taught me a wise principle for our marriage. That is that he is very aware of those weaknesses and the world gets him down about it enough. He needs me to be his safe haven from those attacks and he needs me to build him up. I try very hard to remember this though I am not perfect at this concept. Choosing a career that makes you happy and leads to the lifestyle you want is a very stressful and hard decision to make. I'm glad I don't have that burden. I wanted to spend some time writing about how incredible my husband is when it comes to finding a passion and making a career out of it so that he will be absolutely satisfied with working until he dies. I think that is a rare find these days and I want my husband to know that he is one of a kind and I will always have his back. As you may or may not remember, this blog is actually for him because I express my thoughts better through writing.

Take a look at the cover  photo for our blog. It is of Andrew and me on the piano in the woods. We took those for our engagement pictures. Many people say "How did you do that?" when they first see them or sometimes they are just altogether amazed. I probably would have been amazed too had I seen them the day before Andrew had this idea. When he told me this idea, I quickly started rattling off about the logistics and how hard it would be, etc (I am the pragmatic thinker in the relationship). Andrew became so offended and told me that he has done so many things that were harder than this and that when he has a vision, he will make it happen. I hadn't realized this about him yet and I decided that if I was going to marry him that he is going to be doing crazy, cool things like this and my role is to support him and have fun.

I have definitely seen Andrew do amazing things with his artistic abilities and passion for creating. When I was dating and courting him, he was really set on Media Music to become a music producer or songwriter. He even told my Dad this and knowing my logical, doctor Dad, I'm surprised he didn't laugh at him and tell him to get a real career. What my Dad probably didn't realize was that he was talking to one of the one in a million artists that really was going to make a satisfying, successful career. All I knew was that Andrew had many talents,  passion, and such a drive to be successful that no matter what he chose, he would succeed five times over. I wasn't worried in the least bit. 

Before deciding on and receiving a formal education in Graphic Design, he was a self taught artist. This boy grew up coming home everyday and drawing new characters or creating comic strips and logos,  teaching himself how to make animations on some pretty old animation software, writing movie scripts, making movies, writing songs, learning piano (he actually took lessons for that one), guitar, saxophone, drums, and whatever other instrument came his way. He has a natural ear for music and an eye for beauty. He also knew how to put together quite cool clothing ensembles.

Choosing graphic design was hard for him because he could have chosen any creative field within his hobbies and I know he would be really successful. Graphic design really struck a chord with him and it was a way for him to continue the animation and illustration hobbies while still making enough money. Just yesterday he found a stack of old writings of his and he told me that he wishes he could write and make films for the rest of his life. He is a gifted writer as well. I keep telling him that he will eventually find a job and callings in life that use all of his talents and that when we have children he can revive all of his past times. He just doesn't have time to do all of his artistic hobbies, though he tries to fit them into his overly packed world of graphic design. One time he said he needed a break from design so I figured he would go do something that required no thinking. He went and wrote a song for about 5 hours on GarageBand. When I found him I laughed so hard and told him that it doesn't make sense to take a break from something creative to do something else creative. Obviously, we do not have the same idea about what is relaxing. 

 All of this leads up to the very exciting news that he will be working for 3 months in Amsterdam with a design studio called Edenspiekermann. Erik Spiekermann started this company and among many other things he is a famous typographer and designer who is in the European Designers Hall of Fame. In the graphic design world he is a big deal. Sounds crazy right? It is the middle of his senior year and we have to make all the arrangements to work in Europe and get the money and put life on hold here, plus I am pregnant, etc. Yes it is crazy and absolutely thrilling. I am a Francophile and love Europe. Ask me if I will quit the French teaching job I love and fly off to one of the most amazing European cities, and I will quite easily say yes. Andrew and I want to eventually work in Europe and this could be the door that gets us there. 

I believe that there are many potential geniuses out there in many diverse fields. The thing that I think may stop them from really becoming those potential geniuses is their lack of ambition or drive. Andrew learned something from his mission that he has carried with him and has helped him accomplish great things. He learned that the difference between a good missionary and an excellent missionary is that an excellent missionary was willing to do things that a good missionary wasn't. There are probably so many other people that were talented enough and qualified enough for that internship but Andrew took the time to find it, apply, interview, and commit to go to Amsterdam. Andrew is pretty opinionated and very well spoken at that. He is also very talented and driven. He isn't afraid to push the boundaries or break the rules. He has incredible ideas and isn't afraid to make them happen. He is also a natural leader. If you combine these qualities with his willingness to do what other people aren't, then you have an artistic genius in my opinion. This video always inspires Andrew.



For a long time Andrew has been working on figuring out his fears and has worked very hard to overcome them so that he can reach his potential. That takes a ton of emotional intelligence and courage. I believe that trying to be fearless is another facet of becoming truly successful in a career. Fear holds so many people back from doing incredible things.

So what this post all comes down to is that Andrew amazes me. I am absolutely amazed by some of the things he creates. I could never do things like that and the world needs people like him to help make it more beautiful. Maybe most women don't really pay attention or get involved enough in their husbands' careers and so I am blessed to see the proof of his awesomeness because I have chosen to be interested and involved. Andrew would never say these things about himself because it is socially unacceptable to toot your own horn. Being his wife, I get to hear all of his desires, fears, and triumphs as perceived through his eyes and I wanted to share them. He works very hard and I cannot wait to see what life holds for us. Moreover, I cannot wait to see what gifts he passes along to our children. He is going to be the most sensitive, loving, patient, understanding father a child could wish for. I am so lucky to have him by my side and teach me how to be a little bit more like him. 

Me? Yes I do think I am special, but that is for another post someday.

1 comment:

  1. What a true and wonderful tribute to an amazing man! The two of you are so well suited for each other.
    Andrew, thank you for taking the piano up the mountain, thank you for being so open with your feelings, thank you for having the courage to be authentic, and enjoying the journey of life. It takes effort to create anything; so many people give up, get tired, lack the desire to make the ordinary, extraordinary. You make a difference in our family's world, and for that I thank you.
    I know my daughter will have a life full of adventures at your side... You keep thinking out of the box and who knows what beautiful memories lay ahead for you both.
    BTW, I have never doubted that you can find joy and happiness pursuing any of your given talents. You are that one in a million man.
    I love you so very much.
    Marian/Mom

    ReplyDelete