Thursday, June 21, 2012

No Sleep Till Brooklyn

We have been anxious to check out Brooklyn and since we have friends that live there we thought we would explore it with them. Last Saturday we met up with Rachel and Travis McKinney in Brooklyn for some brunch and then we it the Brooklyn Flea. Since Brooklyn is so hip the prices of all the cool vintage stuff were quite high. We went away with some sweet wood type that Andrew painstakingly had wittled down to 7.


 We found so much stuff that I couldn't buy anything. I realized you have to go there looking for something specific or else you will want to buy everything. Here are some sweet glasses.


We had a great time walking the Brooklyn Heights promenade which has a gorgeous view of Manhattan. We went back to their apartment in Park Slope where we chatted and ate fondue. I really enjoyed reconnecting with Rachel at this point in our lives.


I have been trying the discounted ticket lottery for some Broadway shows the last couple of weeks and we finally won tickets to see Newsies. Many know that I was a bit obsessed with this movie in high school and I might have learned a lot of dances from it cause I secretly want to be a Newsie. Anyway, it was incredible! The dancing, oh the dancing! The story changes a bit so that we don't know exactly how things are going to end, which I really appreciated. They also added to the music which mostly worked out and I liked. I pretty much go everyday to try my hand at amazing seats for the Wicked lottery. So far no luck.

Another fun thing Andrew and I have been doing is reading a French children's book and doing French lessons every once in a while. Sometimes we only talk in French as well. He is really quite good at French and I love helping him. I love teaching him more in depth about the beautiful city of Paris that we will some day visit together. This is some art from the fun book about Paris we are reading.



 Cool Things We Have Seen





I visited the home of Langston Hughes here in Harlem. I love the vines.


We found a mini car (aka Willow Ufgood's car)


Andrew sited a pirate dog walking (not in the sense of there being a pirate dog but rather a pirate walking dogs)

We also came upon a wonderful art installation at Madison Square Park.  There were several of these wierd shaped blobs that make musical sounds when you touch them.


Andrew found Elmo and wanted to get a hug.


This is a funny conversation about the photo from Instagram 


This week we have had our friends Hannah and Sean staying with us for a couple of days.  We found out recently that my sister Laura will be coming to visit in July as well as Andrew's mom, Debbie, who will stop here before she goes to live in Great Britain for about 5 months. We are excited to share the city with family and hopefully we will get more visitors before the Summer is over. We booked our flight to visit family in Nauvoo at the end of July. Meredith, Aurora, and Jeff are all going to be in the Nauvoo Pageant so this is a great time to see some historic LDS cities and sites.

A heat wave has hit us and Andrew is coming to terms with the humidity as he has reconciled his feelings of gross and unpresentable sweatiness that comes from just standing outside. In dry Utah you have to have worked out to get that wet, so he was really confused.

I was able to volunteer this week with some women at our church. We served dinner at a soup kitchen in our area. I just felt so blessed to never have to worry about where my next meal will come from. I sometimes take for granted the everyday little things so i am grateful to have the opportunity to help others who are in such need.

2 comments:

  1. I saw your friend Hannah was coming and I got excited. Then I realized...wrong Hannah. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah Banana Jane Gibby Gibster! I love that somehow if I write it then that overides your plans and you would be expected to come visit. I will write that in my next post and it will compel you to come.

    ReplyDelete