Friday, June 22, 2012

You Get Out Of It What You Put Into It

So for the past 8 months I have really been trying to take charge and eat better as well as exercise. I have given in to lazy cooking and I gave in to cravings and exercised only once in a while. I have not been disciplined but along the way I have been acquiring lots of information about healthy eating habits and trying different workouts. I feel like I have made this resolution a million times in the past couple of years but two weeks ago I finally reached the point where I really committed and I am feeling great.

The first time I tried one of Jillian Michael's videos, I had a realization when she told me that cheesy line that "we are so much more powerful than we think we are." I really took that as a wake up call and decided to take control of my life and act instead of be acted upon. I can do hard things and I can be disciplined. I felt so empowered and she actually pushed me to give my all in my workouts and to dedicate myself to this regiment. Pretty great, right?

So I am doing some butt kicking Jillian Michaels work out videos 5 days a week. It does cardio and strength combinations for the whole body and the trouble zones. I feel like it perfectly challenges me and I love it! It has been so long since I have done exercises in loads of humidity so it was really wierd to feel like I just got out of a pool by the end of my workout. It is pretty gross. Back in Utah sometimes I don't feel like I have to shower afterwards. The dry climate just soaks it all up.

 This is my " Are you kidding me, Jillian " face
 

 I am now frequently consuming vegetable and fruits (really enjoying my green smoothies and salads) and try to balance my diet between nutrient rich whole grains (like quinoa and brown rice, plus so many other fun grains), beans (loving lentils), and dairy. Notice that there is no mention of refined sugars and meat. Sugary things are so infrequent now and I am now a vegetarian.

I have been slowly cutting back on meat this year and so many of the students and teachers at my school are vegetarian. I have been asking vegetarians about their choice and their eating habits in an effort to gather information for a possible future decision. I remember talking to my vegetarian students and thinking about being vegetarian but then decided that meat tasted too good so i couldn't give that up. I remember thinking that was a really weak reason and if that is my outlook on eating then I could feel the exact same way about sugars and then I would get fat.

In living with Aurora and Jeff I was able to see their healthy eating habits and what they fill their kitchen with. Jeff is vegetarian and it was great to see what he eats and how happy he is with his diet. Trader Joe's is out here and they make shopping for good foods much easier plus the prices are great. These things were great resources for helping me commit and make a habit of filling my body with good vitamins and nutrients, which does not have to include meat.

I decided to be vegetarian because I always feel kind of gross and heavy after eating meat. I don't really crave it anymore so I am going to get my protein, iron, and B12 other places. I do not need the saturated fats and cholesterol boost. I prefer to center my efforts on preparing so many other dishes that are prepared around more important, nutrient rich foods instead of what goes with meat. There are many health risks that are taken when eating meat and I don't want to deal with that. So many Americans eat too much meat and I do not want to support that industry which is mistreating animals and run a farming factory where they inject their animals with growth hormones and many more unnatural techniques (watch Food, Inc.).

As a member of the LDS church I follow commandments of health that are found in our scriptures. This includes abstaining from teas, coffees, alcohol, and tobacco. Included in the Word of Wisdom is the commandment that God has made all wild animals "for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger" and "to be used sparingly." Wild animals have been around much longer than we have and our outlook on their purpose should be expanded past our current society's industrialized outlook. When people cannot grow their own grains, fruits, legumes, and farm grown foods, man can use meat from animals to sustain them. In the past I'm sure wild animals were occasionally necessary meals for people who could not stay in one place and wait for their crops to grow. I feel this is a perfect explanation for when people should be omnivores.

This is a good book about exploring eating habits. Andrew and I now feel differently about this topic.


I am excited and loving this regiment of healthy eating and exercise. I am looking forward to all of my hard work paying off. I expect a flat belly and toned arms and legs by the end of the Summer.

3 comments:

  1. I'm loving your blog these days! Another book that's really good is called "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" or something like that. It's by Barbara Kingsolver. I read it a few years ago and since then, I've really tried to be conscious of where my food comes from and how far it travels to get to me. I don't think going veggie is for every one (like me!), but it's cool that you listened to your body and realized it made you feel blah. So happy you are happy! I loved talking to you the other day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brit. I commend you on trying to be more concsious of where your meat is coming from because that is not always easy. I loved talking to you too. Thanks for calling me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great! I mean, for real, I was going to say something about that badonkadonk soon. Glad you're gettin them hips under control. ;) JUST KIDDING!
    No but really what a change for you! I've been vegi for over 2 years and don't think I'm ever going back. But I didn't love meat that much to begin with.
    I'm pumped about you trying all of this out. Good work! I know it takes self discipline. Especially if others are eating meat. How are you getting your B12? I hear you can only get it through meat, because they eat plants that haven't been washed of dirt, and by eating vegis with dirt still on them. I take a supplement. I've also found that I might be a little anemic so I'm trying to up my iron.

    Good luck and have fun with Jillian!
    Love you,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete