Saturday, June 9, 2012

Your Humanities Degree Is Showing

Recently we visited the Museum of Modern Art which was so incredible. One cool part that I didn't take a picture of was the industrial design section that in my opinion was a new inventions type of section.

Here we are discussing what art is

Among other artists, we saw some Dali, Picasso, and Duchamp (Dadaism)


One reason I love seeing art in museums is that you get to see the original size of the canvas. Many people are surprised to see that the Mona Lisa is as small as it really is. I felt this way when I saw Dali's "Melting Clock," seen above compared to Andrew's head. He had to be able to make such small strokes and that makes him even cooler in my eyes.

This is the the entrance to theRockefeller Center building and it is the style of Art Deco. It is really cool. Do not confuse it with my favorite style of Art Nouveau.

I came across an Art Nouveau book that Jeff has. I put together some pictures from it to the right. I fell in love with this art style when I went to Paris. The architecture of Hector Guimard is seen on some of the metros and many buildings. Sadly they do not have much art nouveau architecture in New York. This makes sense since it was most popular in Europe. I love it because it was created in the Belle Époque era which was around the turn of the 19th century yet the style looks so much more modern than it was. I adore the color scheme and the curvy lines of the typefaces. The fact that it focuses on nature and that it harmonizes with the natural environment makes it very appealing to me. Whenever I see it I long for Paris, my first real exposure to it.


 
            Here is a look at the use of type.













This incredible place is the Casa Batiló in Barcelona. I am in love with it!













I convinced Andrew to allow us to name our first child
Colin Art Nouveau Beck. Done.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love the art! You have excellent taste. Galavanting is such fun!

    ReplyDelete